News updated: November 13, 2016
The Early Learning Center of RI daycare facility in Barrington was forced to evacuate on Friday morning due to a carbon monoxide leak.
Staff at the Sowams Road daycare called the Barrington Fire Department at about 9:30 a.m., shortly after a carbon monoxide alarm sounded inside the building.
Firefighters arrived a few minutes later and evacuated the building — that task was made a bit more challenging by the cold temperatures and heavy snowfall. Barrington Fire Department Lt. Jason Fanion said emergency responders found elevated carbon monoxide levels inside the building during an initial check.
About 30 people had been inside the building — 20 children and 10 staff members — and were placed in police cruisers and other emergency vehicles while firefighters began evaluating everyone for carbon monoxide poisoning. Once people were evaluated and determined to be OK, they were placed on a bus to stay warm while children’s parents were contacted. Fire department officials called the National Grid, which determined the leak had started in a rooftop HVAC unit.
Firefighters responded to a rollover on Rt.114 North after a driver lost control on black ice. The operator lost control, hit a snow back, struck a light pole and then rolled the vehicle.
Firefighter Nick Caisse was sworn in as a newly appointed Lieutenant. Lt. Caisse is assigned to A-Group. Also PFF Mike Morgan was sworn in as a permanant member of the BFD. All members of the department were in attendance at the February Council meeting to congratulate Nick and Mike on their appointments
The BFD received multiple EMS call in a short time for SERVICE. It was during this time several 911 calls were placed for 3 juveniles that had fallen through the ice at Brickyard Pond. Lt. Edward Owens said the first boy managed to pull himself out of the water and made his way to the parking lot to call 911. The other two boys were left in the water until rescue crews arrived. Both boys were over 500' off shore and in the freezing water. Members deployed the Ice Rescue Sled and made their way out to the last known location of the boys. FF's found a hole in the ice along with hockey gloves and a hockey stick. FF Mancini entered the water trhrough the hole and searched for the boys. All 3 youths were transported to Hasbro for evaluation. FF Mancini's ice suit malfunctioned and filled with freezing water while in the water searching. He was transported and treated for hypothermia as well.
The BFD took delivery of a 2016 Ford F-550/Horton ALS Rescue from Greenwood Fire Apparatus in February. The old Ford E-Series rescue has been given to the BPD.
Firefighters from B-group recently completed Hurst Tool training with vehicles donated by Jacks Salvage. Probationary firefighters Kelly and Taranto were in attendance.
The BFD welcomes 2 Probationary Firfighters to the ranks at station 1. PFF James Kelly and PFF Zach Taranto were placed on shift after completing recruit training last month. The Probationary Firefighters will continue their training while on shift over the next year and then will be evaluated for permanant status at the BFD. L-R PFF James
Kelly, PFF Zach Taranto
D-Group responded for a rollover on Country road @ Sullivan Terrace. The Volvo wagon struck a stone wall then a pick-up truck. Crews worked for 45 minutes to free the single occupant who was injured severely. Crews from Barrington, EPFD and WFD all worked at the scene.
B-Group responded for a single MVA with entrapment on Sowams Rd. Mutiple patients were transported to area hospitals. The BFD and EPFD worked to extricate an occupant from the wreckage. Utiltimatly a crane was needed to remove the vehicle from the woods.
A-Group was called for a contractor who struck a power line with an extension ladder on County Rd. One victim suffered sever burns and was transported to an area trauma center. A second victim was treated at the scene and refused transport.
Members of the BFD Honor Guard presented the colors September 18th during a 4 game series between the Red Sox and the Yankees at Fenway Park.
C-Group responded to a serious MVA on Oct 28th. A vehicle with 5 youths went off the road and broad sided a tree on the passenger side. A Level-1 mass casualty was declared bringing in rescues from Warren and Swansea FD's. The jaws of life were deployed to extricate the driver from the vehicle. While Barrington, Swansea ans Warren were operating at this accident, a basement fire was reported on John Street near the East Providence line. Apparatus from EPFD responded and knocked down the fire.
Firefighters were called to a vacant house in Barrington for the second time in as many days early Thursday morning. The second fire broke out around 2:30 a.m. on Northwest Passage. The first one was discovered early Wednesday morning when a realtor discovered hazardous materials while checking on the house. The first fire led officials to cut both power and gas from the house. Investigators believe both fires were deliberately set. “A neighbor heard a noise and saw something going on,” said Barrington Fire Chief Gerald Bessette. “Appears to be a second arson attempt at the same dwelling.” The neighbor who called it in said he heard an explosion loud enough to wake him up before seeing flames coming from the first floor of the house.